Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Tank Questionaire

From Falling Leaves and Wings a really good post about tanking for the first time.

Need to find where I got this meme from and link...when I get home.

What is your primary tanking environment? (i.e. raids, pvp, 5 mans)

I usually do 2-3 5 mans a day, a 10 man ICC and a 25 man Naxx and ToC.

What is your favorite tanking spell for your class and why?

I have to say I loved charge since the level I got it (as a warrior) at level 4 or 6. With Warbringer letting us charge in combat its even better. My favorite way of getting agro on a pack is a charge (for body agro, a stun and rage), a thunder clap and then, a second or 2 later, a shockwave. Charge, though is the most fun and the ability that lets that happen.

What tanking spell do you use least for your class and why?

Challenging Shout--something has gone horribly wrong if I pop that.

What do you feel is the biggest strength of your tanking class and why?

Mostly that the longest playing tanks in the game are warriors and have a huge amount of knowledge about the game.

What do you feel is the biggest weakness of your tanking class and why?

Not to sound like a whiner, but from what I have read lately there isn't anything. DKs and Pallies have AE advantages, bears have huge HP pools and all 3 put out lots more DPS than prot warriors. Considering we had a wipe at 560 HP on Marrowgar yesterday, along with a 3.6% wipe on another boss, I want that extra 700-2000 HPs.

In a 25 man raiding environment, what do you feel, in general, is the best tanking assignment for you?

MT/OT--we have lots of threat generation and--like paladins--we really need to be hit to add to the raid.

What tanking class do you enjoy tanking with most and why?

I am going to cop out and say its really the player. I think warriors work best with DKs as I think DKs can bring a lot of tools that make warriors stronger.

What tanking class do you enjoy tanking with least and why?

Other warriors--not that I dislike it--but you can't really cover each others weakness if you're both the same class. But I am far more about bringing the player first, the class second.

What is your worst habit as a tank?

Out pulling my healer. I have gotten so used to overgearing the 5 mans that I forget to see how the healer is doing.

What is your biggest pet peeve in a group environment while tanking?

Can I get 2? Not hitting the marked mobs has to be number one--particularly in PUGs. Number 2 has to be non-tanks walking in front of Marrowgar.

Do you feel that your class/spec is well balanced with other tanks?

No. Weak AE, supposedly weak EH (haven't read enough tank theorycrafting lately to confirm that), weak DPS. That said, I think I can tank anything (what tank doesn't)--but I don't want to be the obvious worse choice. I am supposed to be helping my raid, not hindering it.

What tools do you use to evaluate your own performance as a tank?

First and foremost, Vent and raid chat. I will ask did I do something to make me go *sploot*--or miss something that caused them to. After that it would be Omen, Recount and WWS.

Effective Health or Avoidance and why?

EH. Regular steady damage is easier to heal than huge spiky damage. That is why worse tanking bears were the tanks of choice in places like Gruuls on first kills. Yes they too more damage than the other tanking classes, but they had the huge health pools to get healed back from those hits.

What tanking class do you feel you understand least?

DKs. Though I haven't tanked on any class besides warrior. Maybe I should.

What add-ons or macros do you use, if any, to aid you in tanking?

None ready. I have an intervene one, but I don't use it often. A health stone one, so I don't have 3 different buttons. I keep on hearing good things about tiny plates.

Do you strive primarily for balance between your tanking stats, or do you stack some much higher than others, and why?

Given a choice I will slot stam gems, assuming I have reasonable amounts of hit and expertise--but I am the sort of person who find it hard to say no to item bonuses too.

No comments: